Somers is a small, tight-knit community on the north shore of Flathead Lake. The history
of this former company town is still very much a part of its present. John O’Brien built himself a mansion when he opened up the lumber mill in Somers in the early 1900’s. The mill is gone, so is the railroad tie factory, but the company homes and the O’Brien mansion remain.
The mansion has fallen into disrepair with roof damage allowing water to seep into the house.
In tonight’s feature, Flathead Reporter Katrin Frye takes us to Somers, on a tour of the historic home, and into a conversation with longtime community members who have watched the community grow, shrink, and renew over time.
More photos of the O’Brien Mansion on Reporter Katrin Frye’s Facebook Page.